27 May 2006

The Indy 500

I have a deep love for the Indy 500. It truly is the greatest spectacle in racing, and all of those NASCAR fans can just bite it on this. I remember as a kid listening to Paul Page on the radio, because ABC would show the race tape delayed in prime time. It was so exciting, listening to the race on my parents huge stereo complex. In those days, there were real characters in racing, like A.J. Foyt, the Unsers, and many others. Today, racing is so corporate driven that the racers seem to be less important. It's not as much fun as it was when I was a kid.

But still, tomorrow is the Indy 500. And I will watch with baited breath. I hope that Danica Patrick does well, because I love the fact that women can compete with men in an age where Richard Petty has shown there is still misogynist bias. I don't think she has the car to do it this year, though.

But it will still be fun to watch.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eighth isn't bad when you consider the car she was driving. An awsome performance!

5/29/2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger cc said...

That was an exciting race, don't you think? At first I was thinking, oh man, here is another example of the Andrettis' bad luck, but then I thought about it and they had great luck to be where they were and just got beat by a superior car. I don't think it was the best Indy I've seen, but it ranks right up there. For me, the best is still the 1982 race, where Rick Mears made up a 10 second difference in 10 laps, only to be out driven by a desperate Gordon Johncock. I remember listening to that race in an all-four posture in front of our radio, hardly breathing. That was back when Indy was never won by less than many seconds, if not laps. Today's Indy, with the technology of the cars being what they are, is less exciting in one way, because the cars don't break down like they used to, but more exciting in that there seems to be a sprint to the finish every year. I don't know which I prefer, but the novelty of 1982 still makes it my favorite.

5/29/2006 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home