07 October 2006

Rest in Peace, Buck O'Neil

I've lost two friends this week. The first was my freshman roommate's father, Daniel Brown, Sr., one of the nicest men I've ever known. The second, today, was Buck O'Neil. I never met Buck O'Neil, but back when I was at Texas, he gave an appearance and one of my friends met him. She was from Kansas City, and she delighted in talking with Buck. And Buck was a really sweet guy, she told me. Buck O'Neil deserves his place in baseball history. A great player, great first baseman, he later became a great manager in the negro leagues. Later still, he became one of the greatest scouts in all of baseball history. O'Neil signed Ernie Banks, among others. He gained fame in the Ken Burns documentary, Baseball in the 90s. This past year, he inducted a number of Negro League players to the Hall of Fame. Why he wasn't inducted himself is a ridiculous farse and a scandal that deserves to be fixed. Buck O'Neil will be in the Hall of Fame. It's only sad that he won't be able to be there when it happens. Rest in peace, Buck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home