A couple of years ago, Tom Delay slammed down the throat of the Texas legisature a redistricting plan that redrew districts that had already had elections after the last census. This ploy was stictly an attempt to load the Texas House and the Congress with Republican representatives, and created gerrymandered districts that must be seen to be believed. For example, the district where I lived in Austin, where it had been limited to the county I lived in before, now extends in a
snake-like pattern all the way down to the Rio Grande river, some 300 miles away.
The Justice Department, in an internal brief, came to the conclusion that
this redistricting was illegal. However, now the White House has entered the fray on
the side of the redistricting. Just scandalous. To this day I don't know how my old apartment in Austin has anything to do with a citizen on the river, 300 miles away. Just goes to show how the Republicans will do anything to win power.
1 Comments:
Doug,
Yeah, funny how that happens in Washington.
Post a Comment
<< Home