Surreal Terror at UNC
The Pit is the student commons area and main hub of the UNC campus. At lunch time, it is usually packed with students and faculty. It is inside the main campus, a good distance away from any road and parking lot. Apparently, this car drove down through campus, got to the Pit, and then squealed its tires and accelerated through the crowd, looking for victims. Nine people were injured and six were taken to the hospital; fortunately, however, none of the injuries were serious and it appears that none of the students will have to be admitted.
Needless to say, the Pit area was in chaos when I got there. The police and paramedics hadn't yet arrived and there was a palpable commotion. Very scary. My friend, who had witnessed the event, was very shaken. And apparently we were very lucky. As reports come in, the guy who did it apparently rented the SUV, looking for the biggest car he could find, and deliberately (obviously) plowed through the crowd in an apparent "protest" against American treatment of Muslims around the world. In other words, this could have been far, far worse.
This is a reeling university community right now. Just last week one student died and another was severely injured in a freak accident where the students fell through a third story dorm window. Today's incident was positively surreal. I am glad it ended up fairly well. It is scary how random some things can be. Had I not taken a catnap, I may very well have been in that driver's path myself. Sheesh.


2 Comments:
Wow bro, sorry to hear that this kinda thing hit pretty close in your life. Glad you and yours are safe and sound. Life is a set of random events and like any random event, our minds struggle to make some sense of it. It will always amaze me what people take for granted and how simple things surprise people in this world. I see it everyday in some form or another. I swear I will never "have seen it all", for people are just creative in how they choose to injure or harm others. Not to mention the outcome of the simple yet awesome forces of Mother Nature.
When you mix in the human mind powerful emotions with conviction and determination, there is no telling what will transpire.
Keep yourself safe and I look forward to more of your postings.
Nice comment, bro. Keep it up.
Post a Comment
<< Home