29 May 2006

Badass Guitar Playing

You know, it took me many stubborn years before I finally had to swallow my pride in a big gulp and recognize the fact that Prince is a freaking musical genius. But I've always known that the little man is one hugely talented guitar player, and he has never been given his due on this aspect of his talent, probably because of all his other talents. Why he isn't recognized in the pantheon of greats like Clapton and Hendrix is beyond me.

I was floating around the internet today when I came across this video of the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony and Prince playing with Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty, inductee George Harrison's epic "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Watch Prince's solo the second half of the song and tell me your jaw doesn't drop. Fantastic stuff.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug here, Steve. I've always felt the same way about Prince. The guy is an absolute virtuoso on the guitar, one who has his own style and sound. I've always been frustrated that he had that kind of talent and yet minimized it in his recordings. If the guy were to just do one guitar album, really blow the wheels off, even if he were only doing covers, I think people would be blown away. He's already obviously one of the great musical minds and talents, but it would really push him to another level altogether. I've never understood why somebody with that kind of talent wouldn't display it more often. I suppose he has lots of talents to display, though. Unfortunately, I'd like to see less of the talents that brought us "Raspberry Beret" and "Under the Cherry Moon", and more of the talents that brought us "Let's Go Crazy".

The guy from Weezer, Rivers Cuomo, is also supposed to be a major guitar badass. I was reading an interview with Ric Ocasik, who produced some of their records, and he said the guy is just unbelievable, that he really pulls it way back for the stuff that goes on the records.

6/01/2006 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home