28 May 2006

Memorial Day


These are my Uncles, Richard and George Morris. This weekend is Memorial Day, and as I do every year, I honor and salute my late Uncles. Both died serving their country in the Air Force. Richard died when he lost control of his F-100 in 1966; instead of ejecting, he steered the plane away from the small town of Bowman, South Carolina, where today there is a plaque in his memory. George died on literally the last day of the American involvement in Vietnam when he hitched a "last ride" with another pilot and they were shot down by a SAM doing recon for a fallen Navy jet. They never found George's body.

I come from a military family, so we live with the deaths of people we knew. I was pretty sheltered from that as a child, but I could see war's effects in the eyes of my parents. My father, who fought in Vietnam, lost a good many friends and colleagues, including his best man. My mother lost her brothers. And across this country, thousands of families are experiencing the same thing due to this stupid war in Iraq. So on this day, let us share our love and respect for all of them, all of our fallen brethren. I hope they all rest in peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger bubbamedic said...

A little known thing for you, Bro. Every year that I have to work the Bolder Boulder, I print up a sign in memory of our uncles and tape it to the windshield of my rig for the day. I even had a partner who's grandfather was killed in WWII, who decided to do the same for him that year.

5/28/2006 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Thanks's!

5/29/2006 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug here, Steve. You and I have talked previously about some of our experiences with family members who have served in the military. The story of your uncles has stayed with me, especially George dying at the tail end of the war. But seeing their photos makes it more real. Thanks for posting them.

6/01/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home