Back to the World Cup
Germany 2, Sweden 0
I didn't see this game, but from what I've read, Deutschland romped. I'm going to have to revise my earlier claim that they have no defense: they haven't allowed a goal since their first game. Their next game against Argentina should be a classic, and I wouldn't be surprised if the winner went on to win it all.
Argentina 2, Mexico 1 (OT)
Fantastic match. Mexico really played with spirit, and almost got the Argentinians before one of the most amazing goals I've ever seen was scored by Argentina in extra time. A goal for all time. Great stuff.
England 1, Ecuador 0
England keeps playing like crap, and they keep winning. Eventually, you have to start wondering if there is a "team of destiny" element at work here. There is no way England should be in the quarters playing the way they have. But that's World Cup. Next round against Portugal should be a good test to see just how decent they really are.
Portugal 1, Netherlands 0
Ugly game. 16 cards? Are you kidding me? 4 red cards? Man. Portugal is underrated. Look out, England.
Italy v. Australia
The Socceroos have become my favorite team because they have real spunk and you have to love Aussie fans. I despise Italy. So, my heart is pulling for the Aussies. I don't know if they can win, though. What the hell: Italy hasn't impressed me. I'm picking the Aussies.
Spain v. France
On paper, the Spanish should mop up an old French team like a good mop. But these are the Spaniards, and they always choke in the second round. Still, I just can't see them losing to these geezers. Spain wins.
Brazil v. Ghana
Ghana will be without their best player. Nice Cup, boys. You're out. Brazil stomps.
Switzerland v. Ukraine
Jesus, who cares? The Swiss win because the play good defense.
By the way, if you want to read some great World Cup stuff, go to SI.com and read their "pub blogs." They are sending people to various establishments to watch the partisans. It really captures the passion and magic of World Cup. Good stuff.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home