World Cup '06
I've watched every World Cup since 1990, even though I'm not a big follower of soccer. And I'll tell you, the more I watch it, and the more I learn about the sport, the more I like it. It's hard to describe the huge importance of the World Cup to Americans. That's probably because, 1) they don't really understand soccer, and 2) sadly, they are proud of the fact they are ignorant of what is going on in the rest of the world. Only in this country could we be proud that we are monolingual.
I'll try: imagine that every kid in every country of the world played American football from the time they were a kid. Then imagine that every nation in the world had competitive American football leagues. Then imagine that in the world there were about 10 major American football leagues on the scale of the NFL, that those leagues would have true free-agency and would have multi-national talent, and that every year the winners of those leagues would play in a Champions tournament. Then imagine that in addition to those major leagues there were hundreds and hundreds of minor league American football leagues. Then imagine that every four years, each country would field all-star teams of their best players from around the globe to play against each other, and qualify for a tournament where all the best countries would field their all-star teams against the others. And that the entire world would not only watch, but define their national existence around it.
That, is the World Cup. It makes the Super Bowl look like the Little League World Series.
Just watch these games. The intensity is amazing. The noise and the crowds and the love of the sport. It's amazing. When was the last time you saw any American football game where the crowd spent the ENTIRE game singing? That happened yesterday with the Holland crowd.
One great thing about soccer, I've come to learn, is that it doesn't stop. There are no time outs. No commercial breaks. No huddles. Just the game. Sure, there isn't a lot of scoring. But that's not the point. The point is the flow. And the expectation. There is a lot of tension in a soccer game: a score could come at any time. You just don't know when. It's like hockey in that regard. But the game doesn't stop. That's why the crowd doesn't, either. Instead, they whip themselves into a kind of trance, or if you are English, a drunk stupor.
The other thing I've come to respect about World Cup is that each country has recognizably different tactics, and often these tactics can be traced through the years to the particular countries. Europeans play differently than South Americans, who play differently than Africans. It's fascinating.
I'm going to comment more on the games I've seen thus far, but for now, I have to go watch the second half of Italy (whom I hate) and Ghana. Go Ghana! Get a tie to help the USA!


3 Comments:
What can I say, soccer definately grows on you. As you know my son plays it and truly gets into it.
Until this year I really did not make an effort to learn the game. Now, I am fortunate enough to sit by the coach and assistant coach of David's team during his games, due to some loophole in the "no parent" rule of sideline seating. (I am the team "doctor", for neither coach has much medical training). This prevents me from shouting much (rule), but allows me to ask questions of knowledgeable people when things happen on the field in terms of rules and tactics.
I really try to evade the "Soccer Mom" mentality of "winning is everything", and see the game for what it is. A constantly demanding, dynamic game that has no real "stop and go" action. The half time or kick-off after a goal are the only real reset time in this game. Not every down/quarter, or batter/inning. You really can not stop watching the game, if you want to see all of the action.
David loves being a defender, usually on the left. He does not have the speed or ball handling skills for striker or forward, and absolutely hates midfield -- "they have to run too much!" He does have a great throw-in and is usually very smart about it.
David is watching the World Cup as well. He got the schedule at a Colorado Rapids game last Friday. He is rooting for USA, England (Beckham is an idol), and Argentina. He absolutely "hates" Japan for their "Cheating" moves during their game against the Aussies. He has acquired a horn from a Rapids game and regularly blows it to announce goals. The whole neighborhood will have to be deaf to not know when a goal is scored in Germany. It does not matter who's goal it is, but the more spectacular the goal, the more he blows.
So soccer is not American as Baseball, Basketball, or American Football, but it is definately a challenging game where all of the angles have not (and in my opinion can not be) been figured out before hand. Gear is fairly minimal -- a ball, shin guards, non-metal cleats and a matching uniform. As long as David has fun playing it, I will not stop him. He now awaits to see his placement for the next year, for he tried out again.
I thought he played midfield. That's what he told me last I spoke with him. Ugh. I hate England and Argentina. Oh well, what can you do? That Aussie game was CRAZY!
I have to correct myself here for the stake of my son's reputation. It is Brazil that he likes rather than Argentina. I am Sorry for any misinformation!
Post a Comment
<< Home