We're Number 53!
But guess what?
The World Press Freedom Index in their new rankings for 2006, we rank us 53rd in the world. That would place us, if you use college standards, in the second quartile. We are ranked equal with Botswana, Croatia, and Tonga. Who is No. 1? Finland. Who, by the way, is also number 1 in the least corrupt index. Maybe months and months of snow and dark bring honesty out of people. Tied for number one on the Press index are Iceland (cold), Ireland (just honest), and the Netherlands (also cold and honest).
Want an example of how our country is unfriendly to FOP? Check out how we are treating out troops in Iraq.
My dreams from junior high school civics classes shudder.


2 Comments:
Lisa here.
I originally thought this post was in ref. to our high schoolers knowledge of geography (which I can certainly sympathize with).
You know, Finland was also rated very highly in women's rights by my Women's Studies text. Maybe I'll move to Finland.
Has anyone thought of the possibility that the weather and isolation may have shaped the culture there? I have to admit that I know nothing of Finland other than where it is and what's flag looks like. Maybe they just don't have the time for the petty dealings of politics and oppression. But in that case, Norway, a neighbor, has a serious religious clash problem with their church burnings and such. How did they rank? Or Denmark? Considered the best place to raise children?
On a serious note, maybe we need to understand that when we as a human being (which are historically self serving species that bands together only for survival, rather than as a true social group) to represent a large number of people in decision making related to the goverment. With the percentage of people that are currupted and/or self serving, it is only a matter of time such a hman being will be elected. By their nature, they will support others like themselves in order to make their job easier. Blah, Blah, Blah...I guess i am reacting to the negative campaigning around here. I got to go study our Blue book, which is huge this year.
Post a Comment
<< Home