Blackwater: How Exactly Does This Help Us?
Which leads me to Blackwater. I don't think enough attention has been paid to exactly what the long-term ramifications are with these criminals. Beyond the already disturbing reports of their abuses, beyond the fact that they literally operate above the law and with no oversight, beyond even the weasel-like use of Blackwater to purposely make our deployment of manpower and resources in Iraq seem much smaller than it really is, the use of Blackwater is perhaps irrevocably changing how this country will raise war and conduct foreign policy. We are privatizing war and making U.S. foreign policy a for-profit venture. And clearly I cannot be the only one to think that this is not a very good idea. I'm not too keen on the whole military-industrial complex to begin with (Eisenhower was incredibly prescient there), but the actual conduct of war is definitely not something I want the free market to be a part of.
Anyways, Army Lt. Col Bob Bateman, who served in Iraq for two years, has been a regular poster over at Altercation for a long time. I have developed a great deal of respect for him. He is a historian by trade, apart from his active duty, and is a remarkably reasoned and intelligent man with undeniable insight and opinions into this whole fiasco (and I would just love to see Limbaugh call him a "phony soldier!"). He has a new op/ed at the Chicago Tribune about his experience with Backwater overseas, and it's not a happy story. Check it out.


2 Comments:
It's amazing how so many issues work this way, where it's pretty much documented that an issue exists, but it takes some sort of critical mass to get enough attention to the matter. It's not like contractor work was secret in Iraq.
Quite true, Doug. I think the same goes for blogging about them as well. I've been seething about Blackwater for a long time. As any good rhetorician will tell you, sometimes there is that one event that takes the exigence into maturity. Perhaps the Sept. shooting was that.
Post a Comment
<< Home