11 December 2007
I've been on a kick lately about media that just gets it. Before, it was the book Cross-X which really got the whole expereince that is competitive debate. Now, I've been watching the NBC show Friday Night Lights on the NBC website. I had heard a lot of praise for this show, but was kind of reluctant to watch it. My mistake. This show gets Texas high school football down pat. I'm only half way through the first season, but man, its good. I hear that its become more of a soap opera in season two, which would be a shame, because so far, this is a great examination of not only the football culture in Texas, but also a great examination of growing up as a teenager. I highly recommend it.


1 Comments:
Bill Simmons raves about that show, and I generally trust his taste.
I never really understand why TV shows and movies about football tend to not do well in this country, even though football is clearly the national sport of greatest interest. I suppose it's just that most of them aren't well-done.
Of course, I was one of like 2 people who thought the short-lived ESPN show "Playmakers" was worth watching.
If you haven't seen it, North Dallas Forty is worth going back to check out. Before it's time, really, in terms of seeing football as a business and what the implications of that are for the people involved with it.
Post a Comment
<< Home