14 November 2006

Bursitis, I Hate You

Apparently, I have bursitis in my elbow. But that isn't the whole story.

About a month ago, I wacked my right elbow. Got a bruise, but that happens. No big deal. A week later, the bruise was healed.

Then, two weeks ago, I'm watching television and I have an itch on my right elbow. I go to scratch it, and when I do, it seems that there is some fluid in my joint. I ice it all night, but the next day, my elbow literally seems like someone has taken a silicone implant the size of a golf ball and placed it under my skin. What the hell is going on?

I go to the doctor two days later. Fortunately, my student health doctor of regularity is also the sports medicine doctor of the University. He goes, hmm, you have bursitis.

But the crazy thing is that there has never been any pain. Bursitis is supposed to hurt. And I have no idea what brought this on. I just have a golf ball sized silicone injection in my elbow that feels to weird to describe if I put any pressure on it. Not pain; just weirdness.

Doc thinks maybe me wacking my arm earlier caused an infection. Puts me on anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Tells me to come back in two weeks.

Today I come back. Elbow has not improved. Silicone injection still there in all its glory. Still no pain, either. Just the weird feeling. Doctor is both perplexed and knows things aren't good. He tells me that his experience (remember: team doctor of sports medicine) is that this type of bursitis can last for months, even requiring surgery. He decides to take a fluid sample from it to preform a culture to rule out weird things happening (which he doubts), and has me take an X-ray to rule out any fractures or weird bone spurs (again: he doubts, and proven correct).

Now, don't get me wrong. I like my doctor. A lot. He is extremely competent and is a great guy to boot. But watching him perplexed wasn't cool. And meanwhile, I've got a freaking nerf ball in my elbow!

But at least there is no pain. But doc wants me to start wearing an elbow pad to prevent any additional trauma to the bursa sac (which I need to come up with a name for, since it is now my nemesis). I'm going to the NCA convention tomorrow. I'm going to look great wearing my broomball pad on my elbow as I present a paper.

Bursitis, you are forever my enemy.

1 Comments:

Blogger bubbamedic said...

Hey Bro,
A "bursa sac" is actually a redunant term. The bursa is a sac-like structure that allows for lubrication of joints and tendons. Think of a zip-lock bag filled with a little oil and no air (a favoite visual from college). This allows the two surfaces to glide over each other, virtually frictionless. Not put a cup of water in the bursa, without air and note that the surfaces do not touch, nor "glide over each other. This is the edema (swelling) from the inflamation of the bursa or bursitis. The weird feeling you are feeling is the sensation of pressure. The bursa expands very slightly when you push on it, like a very rigid ballon. From what I remember, bursitis is caused by repeated motion, ie. "Tennis elbow". From excessive pressure over time such as lean on your elbow while reading. Or even trauma which causes swelling (edema) which causes friction like I discribed above. It can be a combination of the above.

I could not resist sharing with you my limited knowledge in the area of medicine. There is some good from my degree, other than wowing the patients with some knowledge as I treat them. I think I can safely say that you can remove the pad for the duration of your presentation without causing harm to your elbow.

11/18/2006 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home