From tree to tree. From you to me. Travelling twice as fast as on any freeway. Every single dream. Wrapped up in the scheme. They all get carried on The Relay.
20 February 2007
You've Got to be Kidding Me
I don't know why I continue to be amazed at just how stupid some people are, but I nevertheless am. Apparently, there are people who have actually been elected that believe that the Earth is static and at the center of the universe.
What can I say? People are ... well, people. I think this whole creatism education thing is the best parallel for my Scientology frustration in caring for people in the field. Rarely have I had such a day as I did when I was called for an eight year old child with obvious leg and pelvis fractures. The child sustained the injuries in a car wreck and carried to the home of a church member before the accident was even reported. The child was discovered being keep on the living room couch for prayer circles, without medical care. Turns out the group states that the power of prayer is better for the child than a trip to a trauma center and it is up to God's will to heal the boy. The injuries are extremely painful sorts that are also life threatening to anyone that gets them. The parents and the church members were arrested and continued to spat curses and damnation at the police, EMS and even the child. All because the treatment the child was receiving was against their religious wishes. Not much ever got out about this call due to the confidentially of the child and for his safety. It still sits in my mind for it illistrates many things about people. People have needs and will do just about anything to fulfill those needs. If it is a high from an addiction, or acceptance with a group. Whatever it takes, they will do it, even if it goes against their better judgement or logic. If you tell a stranger that they are wrong rather than let them figure it out for themselves, you will never win -- completely. Nothing is stronger than a closed mind. Funny thing is, the only person that can open such a mind is too weak to see that they could be wrong in the first place. People will believe anything as long as some part of the issue fits their preception of the world, regardless if the rest of issue does.
So, thse people do exist and will continue to exist. With the destruction of critical thinking skills and the arts within our schools, in the name of "useful industrial or corporate skills", hw can we even start to give our kids the tools to think for themselves? By making them think, for one. But this takes time, which the economy does not allow us to do!!
I have to careful for I am starting to spout at the month and not engage my logic control here. Have fun with this gripe, bro!
No apology necessary. And I agree with you: these people exist. That doesn't mean I can't find them just ideologically blind, or even just stupid. I mean, the sun revolves around the Earth? I can give more credit to the Creationists that disbelieve in evolution more than I can give credit to this. There is still a science-minded boy in me that just sees bullshit as bullshit. And, I'm a rationalist: I want to believe that logic and evidence can be persuasive. And this crap is totally in the face of that. We had more progressive beliefs about religion and things like evolution fifty years ago than we do now. We are regressing, for goodness sake. Fifty years ago, most people believed that Hell was a metaphorical concept. Today, the majority believes that the Devil is a real thing. And Hell is full of fire. Something that even the Catholic Church rejects. We are stufying ourselves in order to feel better. It's ridiculous and I can't wait for the next cycle to bring it back down. Sheesh.
I have to wonder if the use of "cannon fodder" was just some sort of population control of these types, rather than a barbaric tactic of war. They will believe in just about anything, so have them believe they are dying for their king!! Now, the king doesn't have to worry about them anymore. How convient!
What is The Relay?
"Relay" was a song recorded by The Who in 1971. It was released as a single the next year, but it was never appropriately placed in its correct context. That context was an ambitious science-fiction follow-up by Pete Townshend to Tommy called Lifehouse. Lifehouse was about an oppressive future where most people in the cities lived their lived encased in protective suits attached to "The Grid," a virtual world where they received all stimulation through an electronic network.
Townshend in this regard was a true prophet, for "The Grid" is eerily parallel to what we now know as the Internet. This site will be my "grid," my virtual world where I can reflect on the world around me and my place in it.
I hope to use this space to reflect, speculate, and pontificate. If anything, I hope it will give me a forum where I can leave my father in peace from annoying emails about the current thing that enrages me. I will be writing about my life in academia and the issues I'm involved in there, as well as my hobbies, which usually involve three things: sports, music, and politics. Enjoy.
3 Comments:
What can I say? People are ... well, people. I think this whole creatism education thing is the best parallel for my Scientology frustration in caring for people in the field. Rarely have I had such a day as I did when I was called for an eight year old child with obvious leg and pelvis fractures. The child sustained the injuries in a car wreck and carried to the home of a church member before the accident was even reported. The child was discovered being keep on the living room couch for prayer circles, without medical care. Turns out the group states that the power of prayer is better for the child than a trip to a trauma center and it is up to God's will to heal the boy. The injuries are extremely painful sorts that are also life threatening to anyone that gets them. The parents and the church members were arrested and continued to spat curses and damnation at the police, EMS and even the child. All because the treatment the child was receiving was against their religious wishes. Not much ever got out about this call due to the confidentially of the child and for his safety. It still sits in my mind for it illistrates many things about people.
People have needs and will do just about anything to fulfill those needs. If it is a high from an addiction, or acceptance with a group. Whatever it takes, they will do it, even if it goes against their better judgement or logic.
If you tell a stranger that they are wrong rather than let them figure it out for themselves, you will never win -- completely. Nothing is stronger than a closed mind. Funny thing is, the only person that can open such a mind is too weak to see that they could be wrong in the first place.
People will believe anything as long as some part of the issue fits their preception of the world, regardless if the rest of issue does.
So, thse people do exist and will continue to exist. With the destruction of critical thinking skills and the arts within our schools, in the name of "useful industrial or corporate skills", hw can we even start to give our kids the tools to think for themselves? By making them think, for one. But this takes time, which the economy does not allow us to do!!
I have to careful for I am starting to spout at the month and not engage my logic control here. Have fun with this gripe, bro!
No apology necessary. And I agree with you: these people exist. That doesn't mean I can't find them just ideologically blind, or even just stupid. I mean, the sun revolves around the Earth? I can give more credit to the Creationists that disbelieve in evolution more than I can give credit to this. There is still a science-minded boy in me that just sees bullshit as bullshit. And, I'm a rationalist: I want to believe that logic and evidence can be persuasive. And this crap is totally in the face of that. We had more progressive beliefs about religion and things like evolution fifty years ago than we do now. We are regressing, for goodness sake. Fifty years ago, most people believed that Hell was a metaphorical concept. Today, the majority believes that the Devil is a real thing. And Hell is full of fire. Something that even the Catholic Church rejects. We are stufying ourselves in order to feel better. It's ridiculous and I can't wait for the next cycle to bring it back down. Sheesh.
I have to wonder if the use of "cannon fodder" was just some sort of population control of these types, rather than a barbaric tactic of war. They will believe in just about anything, so have them believe they are dying for their king!! Now, the king doesn't have to worry about them anymore. How convient!
Post a Comment
<< Home