16 February 2007
Well, it;s official: Al Franken is running for the Senate in Minnesota. Good for him. I like Al. He's funny. But more importantly, he is incredibly smart. You don't get into Harvard as a middle-class midwestern Jew if you aren't. At least, not back then. I have loved his books and his comedy for years. But a lot of people question whether his comedian past will be a hinderance to an election campaign. Hell that didn't stop Reagan or Arnold from being politicians. Oh, sorry, they were actors, not comedians (at least not intentionally). And this is Minnesota, where they elected Jesse Ventura as governor! I think Franken has a great chance. But what I was most impressed with was his first campaign video on his website. It's really very good and right in tune with upper midwestern voters. It's a textbook case of well done rhetoric: I have to find a way to incorporate it into my classes. See it here. Or, if you don't have Quicktime, try here.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home