06 March 2007

Catalogue of Ships

I saw a remarkable performance last weekend and I thought I would spend some time talking up a friend of mine. One of my Ph.D. colleagues, David Terry, is a Performance Studies student here at UNC, and for the last couple of years he has been publishing on the web a podcast with an old college friend called, Catalogue of Ships. It's an interesting idea. David records stories from his life, then sends them to his friend in Chicago, who re-mixes them with music and effects into a larger performance, not unlike Laurie Anderson, whom I think they admire.

Anyways, last weekend David and his buddy put on a live performance of some of their podcasts, and I was mesmerized. Maybe I'm a sucker for post-modern editing, but I found the writing to be really great and the storytelling capturing. It was a multi-media event, with a fantastic powerpoint presentation that another friend, Anissa Clarke, must have worked on for months, but I think the webcasts can work on their own. And I hope that another great storyteller friend of mine, Doug at Pipeline, would take a listen and let me know what he thinks.

Anyways, Catalogue of Ships.

1 Comments:

Blogger bubbamedic said...

I tried to listen to the pod-cast of these guys, but I really can not follow them enough to enjoy their message or the medium as a whole. The mixes are enjoyable though and I could just listen to the creative medley of music and voices. Goes to show that there are different ways to enjoy the things of the world, as intended and/or in a different light.

3/10/2007 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home